Childcare issues following divorce or separation

Relationship breakdowns are often more difficult and more upsetting where there are children to consider. Often the children do not understand why their parents must live apart and have difficulties themselves coping with the changes.

While  you and your partner may be divorcing or separating, this does not end your role as a parent. However with many parents finding it difficult to agree arrangements for the children, such as where they should live, when they should see the other parent and the payment of child maintenance, our team of family solicitors recognise the importance of helping you and your family deal with issues surrounding the best interests and welfare of your children.

Having helped many families in this area of law, where possible we can help with mediation and negotiation, helping reach an agreement between you and your partner. However, where agreement cannot be reached we have all the experience necessary to advise and represent you at court.

The main orders concerning children that can be made by court are:

  • Residence orders (where should a child live)
  • Contact orders (the level of contact that a person should have with a child)
  • Prohibited steps orders (orders preventing something, such as removing a child to live elsewhere in England or abroad)
  • Specific issue orders (such as change of names or what school a child should go to)

Chelsey was truly amiable and proficient yet additionally totally sensible with her recommendation, reassuring me that a goal could be reached.


I have recently been represented by Chelsey Bayliss of Linder Myers regarding a family matter, Chelsey was absolutely fantastic throughout, dealing with everything in an extremely professional manner, we got the result we wanted and I would highly recommend Chelsey and Linder Myers to anyone. Fantastic service.

I have been very impressed by the service I have received so far from Chelsey Baylis. She has been very knowledgeable, informative and friendly. She delivered her advice in a professional yet compassionate way, and clarified my options in a comprehensive and clear format. I now feel ready to proceed to the next stage with confidence. Thank you!

I contacted Chelsey recently for advice during a difficult separation. Chelsey was very professional, honest and helped me to see my situation more clearly. I would recommend Chelsey and Linder Myers Solicitors to others needing friendly, yet professional advice.

Sarah provided just what we were hoping for, someone who would listen to our concerns about planning for when one or other of us is no longer here, and practical advice to address any issues.

I contacted Linder Myers recently for advice during a difficult separation. They were very professional, honest and helped me to see my situation more clearly. I would recommend Linder Myers Solicitors to others needing friendly, yet professional advice.

I experienced a fantastic service from the family team. They supported and helped me through a very traumatic divorce and offered much support and advice. Always available to talk and very thorough. Would highly recommend.

I cannot thank the team enough for the 1st class service they provided. After going through a very traumatic separation, they were kind, considerate and extremely compassionate. They guided me and have been completely honest throughout. I would 100% recommend.

The friendliest and most helpful solicitors that I have ever had the pleasure of using. 100% recommended.

Through their hard work, expertise and general brilliance I have been able to resolve a family issue that had been occurring for some years previously. Their insight into the right approach and understanding the situation with a compassionate approach made this whole process a lot less painful & a lot more successful than I had hoped!

Child maintenance

When a couple separate the parent who is not living with the children, will pay child maintenance. This is the regular financial support paid to the parent who is the main day to day carer. There are three ways in which child maintenance can be paid:

  • Through voluntary child maintenance agreements
  • By the Child Maintenance Agency (CSA), a government agency set up to calculate, and in some cases collect, payments of child support from the parent who has to pay child maintenance
  • Under the terms of a court order

Our team of family solicitors can provide legal advice about voluntary maintenance arrangements and we are able to help draft appropriate agreements. We are also able to advise you how to work effectively with the CSA to get the best outcome for your children and we will assist you where it is appropriate to apply to the court for a child maintenance order.

If you’d like to find out more about how we can help you contact us today.