Family to sue pharmacy following death of woman given the wrong medication

An inquest has heard that a 62 year old Bristol woman died after she was given the wrong medication by a pharmacy in the city.

The grandmother had a regular prescription for pills to treat crohn’s disease but a locum pharmacist mistakenly gave her tablets which were commonly used to treat diabetes.

Rushed to hospital after being found slumped unconscious on her sofa by her son with a packet of the pills next to her, the inquest found that the diabetes tablets had lowered her blood sugar to a dangerous level inducing a coma and she died one month later.

The Coroner found that her death was due to a hypoglycaemic episode and hypoxic brain injury as a direct result of the wrongly dispensed medication. Both sets of pills were identical in size and colour however, a spokesman for the Pharmaceutical Society said that it would be impossible to make the tens of thousands of pills available look different in size and shape and the distinction was in the packaging.

The untimely death highlights the need for dispensing procedures to be more stringent to avoid similar incidents in the future.

If you, or someone you know, has suffered due to the negligence of a medical professional, contact a member of our team for a confidential and free initial consultation on 0800 085 3295.

Alternatively, please email a summary of your potential claim and contact details to clinnegenquiries@lindermyers.co.uk.

-->